"Seek and destroy" duplicate entries

From: Alex <dead.man.walking_at_gmx.de>
Date: 16 Oct 2006 04:36:14 -0700

Hello NG,

considering the following table-structure (import-table):

Material_Nr  ||  Alternative_Hierarchy
-------------||--------------------
A            ||  10xalpha
A            ||  10xalpha
A            ||  10xalpha
A            ||  10xalpha
B            ||  20xgamma
B            ||  20xgamma
B            ||  20xgamma
B            ||  20xgamma

The data I've to import isn't normalized. Therefore, the original datasets are inflated to nearly 140.000. While I'm able to delete about 130.000 datasets by killing those, who have NULL as "Alternative_Hierarchy", I've still got >8.000 datasets left.

But a lot of these are still duplicates! Having only the mentioned columns, I failed to apply the method of S-A-D using the MIN()/MAX() functions.

Can anyone provide me with a solution of killing the duplicates (except one) ?
Any help will be appreciated!

Alex Sauer Received on Mon Oct 16 2006 - 06:36:14 CDT