Re: How to get unique temp table name

From: Fuzzy <fuzzy.greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Oct 2006 06:53:04 -0700

ian wrote:
> Hi;
>
> What is the method in <SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0> to create a unique
> temporary table name.
>
> I "create global temporary something(whatever);" and I see it lives for
> the world.
> This site has every one using the same administration login, as far as
> I know its the only one!

>From Oracle's supplied 'Concepts' manual (in the chaptrer about Schema
Objects):

"The CREATE GLOBAL TEMPORARY TABLE statement creates a temporary table that can be transaction-specific or session-specific. For transaction-specific temporary tables, data exists for the duration of the transaction. For session-specific temporary tables, data exists for the duration of the session. Data in a temporary table is private to the session."

The implication is that - even though everyone is using the same userid (which is generally a bad idea if you are subject to audits and regulations such as SarbOx) the data in the same global temp table will still not be visible to the various users.

Which begs the questions - Why are you concerned about this? What is the underlying problem? Received on Fri Oct 13 2006 - 08:53:04 CDT