Efficiently getting top level parent in hierarchy with connect by

From: Mike C <michaeljc70_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Oct 2006 08:34:24 -0700

I have a query on a simple table that has parent child relationships. I need a query to get the highest level parent for a child. Is there a simpler way to do this than what I have which repeats the query to get the max level?

select parent_id,level from tbl_parent_child g WHERE level=(SELECT MAX(level) FROM tbl_parent_child start with child_id = 139527170 connect by child_id = prior parent_id ) start with child_id = 139527170 connect by child_id = prior parent_id Received on Thu Oct 12 2006 - 10:34:24 CDT