Re: test if dblink is up

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 12 Oct 2006 08:19:57 -0700

On Oct 12, 9:22 am, Andreas Moroder
<Andreas.moroder@[nospam]sb-brixen.it> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we have a DB-Link over a WAN. When the dblink goes down the application
> blocks and gets a oracle error only after 30 minutes.
>
> Is there a way to test if a dblink is up whit a shorter timeout ( say 30
> seconds ) ?
>
> Thanks
> Andreas

What value is the database paramter, distributed_lock_timeout, set to? In my experience this parameter is normally set to a period of 1 to 3 minutes. You should be able to code an exception block to capture this error and respond to the users as desired.

We have an application that does a remote query and updates a table on failure. Some other applications are designed to check this table before issuing the distributed query. The query is skipped if the local table has the remote destination marked as unavailable. how you handle the error depends on the application and how frequently you expect the remote destination to be unavailable.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Oct 12 2006 - 10:19:57 CDT