Re: Lower case username logon problem

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 12 Oct 2006 08:07:20 -0700

On Oct 12, 8:25 am, "Johnny Williams"
<REMOVEjohnwilliams_..._at_NOThotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've created the following username:
>
> CREATE USER "Test" IDENTIFIED BY test;
> GRANT CREATE SESSION TO "Test";
>
> Can anyone explain why SQLPLUS "Test"/test and SQLPLUS "Test"/"test" both
> fail with 'ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied'?
>
> Yet just entering SQLPLUS and entering the username and password at the
> prompts works:
>
> Enter user-name: "Test"
> Enter password: (test or "test" typed here)
>
> Connected to:
> Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options
>
> SQL>
>
> Thanks for any help.

Using Oracle version 9.2.0.6 running on AIX 5.2 I was able to connect from the UNIX command line using:

sqlplus "id"/"password"
sqlplus "id/password"
sqlplus "id"/password

sqlplus id/"password"

Tough my ID was not created using double quotes around it in the create, that is, create user id ... was used instead of create user "id".

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Oct 12 2006 - 10:07:20 CDT