Re: Oracle in Visual Basic

From: JonWat <jonwaterhouse_at_gov.nl.ca>
Date: 12 Oct 2006 06:38:55 -0700

claudio.torres_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all of you.
>
> I just created a dll that allows to connect to a database and returns
> an open connection to the calling application.
>
> You just instantiate the object, then set up a property indicating
> which application is connecting, and then you call a method that
> returns the connection to a database depending on the application set
> up.
>
> The question is: is possible that any of the developers may know what
> the database password is? They just use the dll to open connections,
> they don't have to know the passwords, but it's possible any way that
> they become aware of that?
>
> I'm returning a oraDatabase object, but I don't know if is possible to
> obtain further information from there.
>
> Thanks for your help and please sorry for my english.

If the question is "can Oracle tell a logged on user what their password is?" the answer is "No".

Will setting trace on before you log in give you the password - I don't think so.

Can they get it from your DLL? Quite possibly. If your DLL stores, for example, an array which has the Application name and the username/password with which to log on, then someone with a text editor can find it in your DLL. Received on Thu Oct 12 2006 - 08:38:55 CDT