Re: UNIX sqlplus can't echo multiline commands in order

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Oct 2006 00:42:08 -0700

yong321_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I''m sure everyone has seen this. If I copy
>
> select * from dual;
> select * from dual;
> select * from dual;
> select * from dual;
>
> from my Windows clipboard and paste them all into sqlplus running on
> UNIX or Linux, the screen looks like this:
>
> SQL> select * from dual;
> select * from dual;
> select * from dual;
> select * from dual;

> -
>
> SQL>
> -
>
> SQL>
> -
>
> SQL>
> -
>
> If I do this to DOS sqlplus, I don't have this problem. Can anybody
> offer a suggestion? One way is to save the multi-line input to a file
> myscript.sql and run it with @myscript.sql. Perhaps some third party
> sqlplus replacement can also do it. Any other suggestion?
>
> At first I thought this was related to the shell I launched sqlplus
> from, because at least on my bash shell window, pasting multiple lines
> of "sleep 1" echos them back one line at a time. But going into
> sqlplus, I still have the above problem. (I posted a message about that
> "sleep 1" problem here:
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.shell/browse_frm/thread/b78159e69d1f63ad
> )
>
> Yong Huang

I would recommend to re-read the reply from Michel Paoli to this question.
I really don't see your concerns. You paste a 'script' don't you? As long as no ^D or EOD command is received it shouldn't be executed. I would consider the observed behavior correct and the Windows behavior wrong. What's new?

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA