Re: Shutting down a 10g instance

From: dbDummie <please.send_at_no.spam>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 22:58:46 GMT

On 18 Sep 2006 23:37:17 -0700, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev" <vladimir.zakharychev_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>dbDummie wrote:
>> I'm just beginning to migrate from Oracle 9i to Oracle 10g. I
>> installed 10g on a Windows box and created a database.
>>
>> I went into sqlplus, connected as sysdba and issued a shutdown. The
>> database did not shut down. I tried shutdown immediate, it still
>> didn't shut down.
>>
>> It looks as though, if the OracleDBConsole is running, the database
>> won't shut down. Is that correct?
>>
>> What is the "proper" way to shut down a 10g database?
>>
>> Is it necessary to manually stop the OracleDBConsole first?
>>
>> Thank you.
>
>Afaik, DB Console shouldn't prevent the instance from shutting down.
>What's in alert log? When you stopped DB Console - did the instance
>shut down?
>
>Regards,
> Vladimir M. Zakharychev
> N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
> http://www.dynamicpsp.com

Yes, when I stopped DBConsole the instance shut down.

I installed 10g on another system. On that one, if the DBConsole is running, the db cannot be stopped with shutdown, but it can with shutdown immediate. I must have had something else going on with the first system.

Apparently OracleDBConsole keeps a session in the database, requiring the use of shutdown immediate if the service isn't stopped first. (on Windows anyway) Received on Tue Sep 19 2006 - 17:58:46 CDT