Shutting down a 10g instance

From: dbDummie <please.send_at_no.spam>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 03:12:25 GMT

I'm just beginning to migrate from Oracle 9i to Oracle 10g. I installed 10g on a Windows box and created a database.

I went into sqlplus, connected as sysdba and issued a shutdown. The database did not shut down. I tried shutdown immediate, it still didn't shut down.

It looks as though, if the OracleDBConsole is running, the database won't shut down. Is that correct?

What is the "proper" way to shut down a 10g database?

Is it necessary to manually stop the OracleDBConsole first?

Thank you. Received on Mon Sep 18 2006 - 22:12:25 CDT