Which Is Better?

From: <pankaj_wolfhunter_at_yahoo.co.in>
Date: 18 Sep 2006 00:12:02 -0700

Greetings,

I have just joined a new project and was given some application code to look into.

In code, there is a need to update a table(table A) from a source table (table B)
having millions of rows.

This update, what I can see in code, can easily be done using Merge statement
but the approach they are using is: record type of the destination table (table A),
fetching the records from the source table (table B) into a Bulk collect
variable and looping through the bulk collect variable to update the destination table using record variable.

Just want to ask which approach, performance wise, will be better? I hope I am clear.

Db version:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - 64bi PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production

TIA Received on Mon Sep 18 2006 - 02:12:02 CDT