Re: Urgent help needed!

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 02:57:04 GMT

rwking_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a project due in about an hour... one of the questions I have to
> answer is determining the physical size of the database. It's an
> Oracle 10 database. Actually, it's a small datawarehouse with 5 tables
> of raw data. I only have a SQL Plus interface, so some commands don't
> work. I can't find a query to get me the physical size anywhere on the
> net. If you have any ideas or input, PLEASE send me an email or
> respond to this post. I would greatly appreciate it. I hope someone
> is out there.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rich

The "size" of a database can mean different things to different people.

If you want to know how much space the database uses on the server's disk system, you can issue the following query:

SELECT SUM(bytes) AS bytes FROM dba_data_files;

However, the datafiles could be a little empty, mostly empty or somewhere in between. So many people look at the amount of space occupied by the tables and indexes in the database. Any object that allocates space in the database is called a segment, so a different query is used:

SELECT SUM(bytes) AS bytes FROM dba_segments;

Hopefully this answer gets to you in time for you to turn in your homework......

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net