Re: hot standby

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 00:55:20 +0200

On 12 Sep 2006 14:17:17 -0700, mike7411_at_gmail.com wrote:

>I'm considering various replication solutions for a hot standby.
>
>It looks like Data Guard replicates all transactions and has no
>provisions for specificity. Given this, is it safe to say it is
>inappropriate for a hot standby in a frequent transaction, very low
>bandwidth environment?
>
>Thank you.

In any frequent transaction, very low bandwith environment *any* replication solution is inappropiate.
You'll need to define the purpose of your hot standby. If the hot standby has to be capable to take over, Dataguard is the best solution.
If you don't have the bandwith to run Dataguard, you should get hold of the companies creditcard.
Do NOT plan to ship the datafiles every so often. 'Solutions' like that are doomed to fail.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA