Re: *pressure Google to put Groups back on main page...*

From: CBFalconer <cbfalconer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:03:56 -0400

Michael Heiming wrote:
> David L. Johnson <david.johnson_at_lehigh.edu>:
>> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 07:19:05 -0700, Ed Prochak wrote:

... snip ...

> Many think this would be a groups.google forum, as this is the
> only interface to Usenet they have ever seen. Some even post as
> if people answering here would be paid by google to serve them
> asap...;(
>

>>> Oh I agree. It is just that even though the number of people
>>> using groups has increased, it has nowhere near increased at
>>> the same rate as people using the internet.

>> I sincerely doubt that, if you look at recent years.  Neglecting
>> trolls and spam, I would say that usenet traffic, even on the
>> technical groups I follow, has decreased substantially.

> At least in this ng, (comp.os.linux.misc) traffic seems somehow
> constant. There was just a switch some time ago, as AOL closed
> their nntp server and asked people to use groups.google.com
> instead.

There are free news-servers available. Just recently my ISP fouled up the usenet server (they farm it out to giganews), or maybe giganews fouled it. I simply connected to the free news server from teranews.com, and everything now flows smoothly. It cost me USD 3.95 to register, and the minor annoyance of an extra sig. line hung on by teranews.

I don't know if teranews is available outside North America.

--
"I was born lazy.  I am no lazier now than I was forty years
 ago, but that is because I reached the limit forty years ago.