Re: *pressure Google to put Groups back on main page...*

From: David L. Johnson <david.johnson_at_lehigh.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 09:37:30 -0500

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 07:19:05 -0700, Ed Prochak wrote:

>> > Actually, I was wondering when groups might go away. My impression is
>> > many groups are dead or dying. With blogs and other dynamic web
>> > content, the days of newsgroups may be numbered.

Actually, usenet is dead, and has been for some time. We just don't seem to know it yet.

My university had been receiving a newsfeed -- without paying for it -- for some years. The provider eventually checked its records, and cut us off. For some weeks, I was the only one to complain, so the U never bothered to reinstate them.

> Oh I agree. It is just that even though the number of people using
> groups has increased, it has nowhere near increased at the same rate as
> people using the internet.

I sincerely doubt that, if you look at recent years. Neglecting trolls and spam, I would say that usenet traffic, even on the technical groups I follow, has decreased substantially.

Note: newsgroups line trimmed

--

David L. Johnson

   __o   | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
 _`\(,_  | mysteries,  and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
           nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]