Re: *pressure Google to put Groups back on main page...*

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Sep 2006 07:19:05 -0700

Paul wrote:
> "Ed Prochak" <edprochak_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > Seriously, who the hell cares about 'Videos' - there must be millions
> > > of usenet group users - can we club together and force them to put
> > > Groups back on the Google home page - 2 clicks per visit is starting to
> > > bug me...
>
> > Actually, I was wondering when groups might go away. My impression is
> > many groups are dead or dying. With blogs and other dynamic web
> > content, the days of newsgroups may be numbered.
>

> I certainly hope not!
>

> A newsreader is *_WAY_* more efficient at collating info than a
> browser - topics, threads - *_WAY_* better than the web.
>

> Paul...

Oh I agree. It is just that even though the number of people using groups has increased, it has nowhere near increased at the same rate as people using the internet. ISP's do not seem include any introduction to newgroups. People basically find them by luck or by other users. The technical groups will go on for a long time, but my impression (unmeasured) is that the social groups seem to have at least leveled off in numbers of users. We may be near the inflection point where the slop changes to negative growth.

But I do prefer groups to many websites..

 Ed Received on Tue Sep 12 2006 - 09:19:05 CDT