Re: Selecting SIMILAR, not the same records (PROBABLE) duplicates

From: Ed Prochak <edprochak_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Sep 2006 14:33:02 -0700

kroger wrote:
> > As much as possible, push the filtering out to the data entry point. It
> > is a lot easier to keep garbage out thatn is is to clean up.
>
> That I'm aware of.
> A lot of verification is done before persisting the data, however, this
> particular thing is meant for kind of supervisors that by daily routine
> clean up the data.
>
> When I started with that, I couldn't believe how inventive pepole can be to
> push garbage into database... Blank text field not allowed? Let's try
> spaces, dashes, asterisks, combinations of those with letters... Or just
> 'aaabbbcccddd' just to push the data through. No matter they KNOW there
> should be a legal name ;)

Make it idoit-proof and the make better idiots! Believe me I'm dealing with similar problems at my work.

> > For good or ill, my big project for next year will be something
> > similar.
> > Once done, it will sure make our system cleaner.
>
> That's the whole point. This particular thing may be slow, with dirty GUI
> and dirty code, whatever else, but data check must be on the high level.
>
> And to finish up with taking care for the CLEAN input: you cannot have an
> eye on all users on all continents... And how come can you tell by automated
> routine that for example Porshe AG and Porshe Engines are different entities
> for invoicing, even though located at the same address?

You're doing it for an automotive application? I'm in the trucking industry right now. Don't get me started on PENSKE TRUCKING!

> > Looks like you have a good idea how to approach this now.
> > Good luck,
>
> Much better than at the beginnig in any case :)
> Thank you all!
>
> BR,
> kroger

If you can, drop us a status note sometime. And you are welcome!

   Ed Received on Sun Sep 10 2006 - 16:33:02 CDT