Re: Simple Oracle Query Taking Too Long

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 18:28:18 -0700

joel garry wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> joel garry wrote:

>>> Block size isn't extents, is it?
>> You are correct I wasn't reading closely though I suspect that may still
>> be what the OP intended. Either way that too is a bad idea. If a table
>> is going to grow to 1GB ... do you really want to do this 64K at a time?
>> I sure don't even without dictionary managed tablespaces.

> I guess this must be "Let's hit dizwell day."
> http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/66
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> And Sept. 19 is http://www.talklikeapirateday.com/wordpress/

I agree with Howard ... but it isn't about the number of extents to which I refer. Rather why update that bitmap a zillion times when a few will do. Keep in mind that while that extent is being added, update bitmap, update seg$, update a bunch of view, you are gaining nothing but wait.

--
Daniel Morgan
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group