Re: determining the relationships between schema objects

From: Jeff Calico <jeffCalico_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Sep 2006 07:37:24 -0700

Brian Peasland wrote:

> There are no free tools that I know of. If your company has Visio, then
> Visio can connect to the database and read your Data Dictionary for you
> and generate a ERD diagram. If you do not want to pay for Visio, you
> might want to look into a product called Happy Fish
> (http://www.polderij.nl/happyfish/). It's low cost and does a pretty
> good job.
>
> To reverse engineer your CREATE statements, use the DBMS_METADATA pkg.
> The following can do the trick:
>
> SELECT dbms_metadata.get_ddl(object_type,object_name) FROM user_objects;
>

> HTH,
> Brian

Thanks, Brian. No, I don't have Visio available. I looked at the Happy Fish site and it looks pretty good, although it seems you don't get too much documentation until you actually download and install the thing. Then it seems to be free, except for "nag" screens.

I shall also experiment with dbms_metatdata.

thanks!
Jeff Received on Fri Sep 08 2006 - 09:37:24 CDT