Re: Selecting SIMILAR, not the same records (PROBABLE) duplicates

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 09:44:54 +0200

joel garry schreef:

> [...]

[snip]

> Maybe I'm still not understanding, but might soundex help?
> http://www.orafaq.com/search/soundex
>
> jg
> --

Thought crossed my mind, too, but I discarded it, as soundex only considers the first 4 similar characters, hence "aaa" and "aaa xxx" will be compared as "a" and "a x" and never be the same: Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production With the Partitioning, Oracle Label Security, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options
JServer Release 9.2.0.6.0 - Production

SQL> select soundex('aaa'), soundex('aaa xxx') from dual;

SOUN SOUN
---- ----
A000 A200

As the OP wanted "aaa" and "aaa xxx" to be reported as possible duplicated, it's not going to help.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...