Re: Tough question for oracle DBAs/Solaris Admins. Log shipping.

From: <jKILLSPAM.schipper_at_math.uu.nl>
Date: 05 Sep 2006 10:23:31 GMT

[comp.databases.oracle.misc removed from followup-to - it's not relevant]

In comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc Rich Teer <rich.teer_at_rite-group.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, jKILLSPAM.schipper_at_math.uu.nl wrote:
>

>> I assume that some kind of warning must be given before one can remove
>> devices; still, this is 'wicked cool'.

> Not necesarrily. Some devices are more "plug tolerant" than others.
>
>> There is, BTW, no particular requirement for dynamic loading; OpenBSD
>> just compiles every driver [1] into the kernel, so dynamic
>> reconfiguration can be done without loading any additional drivers.

> That's one valid way of doing it, but wasteful of memory resources
> if drivers for devices one rarely (if ever) uses are compiled in.

Well, I don't know about memory consumption offhand, but:

$ ls -la /bsd /bsd.rd
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 6029694 Aug 22 16:54 /bsd

Not that much, on any vaguely modern machine.

>> Of course, you *can* plug in a USB device, and it will mostly Just Work
>> - but hotswapping CPUs is not possible.

> Provided it's supported by the HW, Solaris DOES support hotswapping
> CPUs...

Nice. Not necessarily useful, but thoroughly nice.

                Joachim Received on Tue Sep 05 2006 - 05:23:31 CDT