Re: Tough question for oracle DBAs/Solaris Admins. Log shipping.

From: <jKILLSPAM.schipper_at_math.uu.nl>
Date: 04 Sep 2006 21:32:13 GMT

In comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc Tim Bradshaw <tfb+google_at_tfeb.org> wrote:
> jKILLSPAM.schipper_at_math.uu.nl wrote:
>

>> This design actually makes a lot of sense; surely, modules can save a
>> small amount of memory, but it is usually not very significant. And it's
>> a rare occurence that even a Linux system loads a module once the system
>> is 'really up'.

> This would be a disaster for Solaris, or for any other system which
> needs to support dynamic reconfiguration. For instance devices (and
> processors, memory etc) may appear and disappear at, really, any point
> while the system is up, and it needs to be able to load and
> (preferably) unload modules when this happens.

I assume that some kind of warning must be given before one can remove devices; still, this is 'wicked cool'.

Not enough to make me switch to Solaris, of course, but wicked cool.

There is, BTW, no particular requirement for dynamic loading; OpenBSD just compiles every driver [1] into the kernel, so dynamic reconfiguration can be done without loading any additional drivers. However, I'm fairly certain most subsystems can't deal with devices randomly appearing and disappearing - in particular, I'm fairly certain the memory subsystem would get very, very confused.

Of course, you *can* plug in a USB device, and it will mostly Just Work - but hotswapping CPUs is not possible.

                Joachim

[1] Subject to certain constraints, mostly that the driver must be stable, usable, and useful for more than ten persons or somesuch. Received on Mon Sep 04 2006 - 16:32:13 CDT