Re: Counting duplicates in SQL

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 14:08:38 +0200

On 04.09.2006 13:35, Jack wrote:
> It is wrong to denigate someone who asks a legitimate question as a
> possible/probable *CHEAT*

Note that I did not claim you *are* cheating - I just expressed my impression. And you could have easily corrected that.

>> It is impossible for instructors to monitor all of the ways that
>> students can cheat and self-policing professions are of great value.

> So?!!?!?!??!!?
> What was he trying to accomplish by inferring I was a cheat?
> The only possible answer is that he would put others off from helping.

Usually it's more helpful to not provide solutions but hints at most. Your problem is so trivial that you can easily dig that up yourself - regardless whether it's a real world or a class problem. And you get the added benefit of understanding a fundamental feature of SQL.

Apart from that I actually offered help, but no immediate answer.

> There is no need to stigmatise. It is counterproductive. Remember McCarthy?
> Don't you Americans ever learn?

I don't know about Daniel, I'm German.

Choosing a certain language is also counter productive btw.

Regards

        robert Received on Mon Sep 04 2006 - 07:08:38 CDT