Re: Counting duplicates in SQL

From: Jack <test_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 12:35:20 +0100

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1157335769.824274_at_bubbleator.drizzle.com...

> Jack wrote:
>> "Robert Klemme" <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com> wrote in message

>>> Hm, this lookes like homework to me.  What else did you try?
>>
>> Hm, looks like you entered the "I'm a patronising twat" competition to
>> me.
>
> Jack as an instructor at the University of Washington teaching Oracle I
> am grateful for people who provide hints but not solutions and it is
> wrong for you to denigrate them.

I don't care where he teaches.
It is wrong to denigate someone who asks a legitimate question as a possible/probable *CHEAT*

> It is impossible for instructors to monitor all of the ways that > students can cheat and self-policing professions are of great value.

What was he trying to accomplish by inferring I was a cheat? The only possible answer is that he would put others off from helping.

That is what pissed me off.

*self policing professionals" lol. Vigilanties in the Oracle newsgroups police state more like.

> I am sure you wouldn't want to find yourself working on a team with
> someone that couldn't pull their weight. Please reconsider your
> attitude.

My attitude is fine. If someone suspects that another is a *cheat* then don't post any help.

If their institutions grade by continual assesment rather than final exam that is their problem. If it is easy for their students to cheat then fix it. Don't stigmatise others in the *real* world rather than be anal about their own institutions.

There is no need to stigmatise. It is counterproductive. Remember McCarthy? Don't you Americans ever learn? Received on Mon Sep 04 2006 - 06:35:20 CDT