Question about Automatic Memory Management

From: Dan <daniel.ostertag_at_visaer.com>
Date: 31 Aug 2006 10:20:58 -0700

We are running a 9i production database in which the parameter PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET is set. By setting this we are enabling automatic memory management and thus, supposedly, disabling the usage of the *_AREA_SIZE parameters.

Do the *_AREA_SIZE parameters get totally ignored when setting PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET? We are concerned that they are still used, especially since we cannot set these values to null and then start up the database. Why do we have to give these parameters real values if they are being ignored? And if we give them values, are these values being used in ANY way? If they are used, is the area shared by all users or is each user dynamically allocated their own area at connect-time or execution time?

Thanks,
Dan Received on Thu Aug 31 2006 - 12:20:58 CDT