Removing a default value

From: Jens Lenge <spampot_at_gmx.net>
Date: 29 Aug 2006 08:44:53 -0700

Hello world,

what is the "official" way to remove an existing default value setting for a certain column in Oracle 9i and 10g? The modify column clauses according to

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_3001.htm#i2103956

do not seem to allow a "no default" choice, while SQL Developer's automatic code generation simply sets the default to null, which is different to not setting a default in the first place (as it explicitly yields "default null" in the SQL code).

Of course I can create a new column with no default, copy the existing values, and drop the original column, but I am pretty sure the is a more direct way. However, the "drop default" statement found in other SQL dialects is not support by Oracle, and I did not find an equivalent in Oracle's alter table docs.

Jens Received on Tue Aug 29 2006 - 10:44:53 CDT