Re: Three pieces of SQL, which one is best?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 25 Aug 2006 14:19:08 -0700

Mark D Powell wrote:

> I cannot remember if Oracle added analytic queries to the standard
> edition but if not then that might be a consideration if you are
> developing an application on EE that may have to run on the standard
> edition.

According to metalink Note:271886.1 analytic functions are in all editions of 10.

I would hope the SQL manual
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/functions001.htm would note if it weren't. This is an extension of the SQL engine so it is everywhere.

The analytics chapter of expert one-on-one goes into some detail about performance, including a mention of when not to use them. I would guess using analytics might make it easy for the optimizer to do the right thing, as opposed to maybe something different with a not-quite-equivalent complicated query.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Sticky-beaking?