Trying to restore a database using Recovery Manager

From: <heatrj_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2006 13:25:15 -0700

Here is the log I get when I try and recover any part or the whole database.

OS - Windows Server03

Recovery Manager: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production

Copyright (c) 1995, 2004, Oracle. All rights reserved.

RMAN> connected to target database: ORCL (DBID=1125366970)

using target database controlfile instead of recovery catalog

RMAN> 2> 3> 4> 5> Starting restore at 23-AUG-06

allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1

channel ORA_DISK_1: sid=159 devtype=DISK

released channel: ORA_DISK_1

RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 08/23/2006 14:52:02

ORA-19554: error allocating device, device type: SBT_TAPE, device name:

ORA-27211: Failed to load Media Management Library

RMAN> Recovery Manager complete.

What I get from that report is the Recovery Manager is trying to recover the database from Tape. The backup is in the Flash Recovery Area on a separate disk from the database on the same computer. I set up the flash recovery area to be there and set the backups to go to the flash recovery area. I didn't even configure the tape portion, and I have had no problems backing up to disk, the backup of the database is there. Note, I am a virgin to recovering a database, and I am using Oracle Enterprise Manager to configure and to operate these procedures.  What is strange to me is when you configure the backup you can specify a destination for the backup, but when you begin a restore there is no way to specify a source for the backup. I can't find anywhere in Enterprise Manager to configure where I want to restore from. Not a location or a device such as from disk or tape. I'm not sweatting too hard, this is a test database I'm using to get my feet wet. It doesn't even need recovering, I just want to be sure I can do it, but this is just kind of frustrating at the moment, and I know it's got to be some easy thing. Also I am following instructions from an Oracle PDF called 2Day DBA, and that was the exact procedure for recovering, which came after setting up backups and recovery and performing a backup. I also should note I have enable archiving in the Recovery Settings. Received on Wed Aug 23 2006 - 15:25:15 CDT