Re: Sending an e-mail when Oracle shuts down

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:34:34 GMT

Tarby777 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to configure Oracle 9iR1 to send an e-mail whenever the
> instance shuts down? I know that I could create a shell script to shut
> the instance down and send a mail, but I can't be sure that folks will
> always use the script. I'm wondering whether there's an Oracle file
> somewhere that always gets read during an instance shutdown, to which I
> could add a line that would send the mail. Maybe there's a PL/SQL
> procedure that would handle this... what's the best way to get the
> system to send this e-mail?
>
> TIA
> Tarby

I agree with Sybrand's suggestion to use OEM to monitor this condition for you. That would be choice #1.

Choice #2 (IMHO) is to create a BEFORE SHUTDOWN trigger to implement this functionality. The trigger will only fire on "normal" shutdowns and will not capture crashes. That is why OEM is preferable.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net