Re: Sending an e-mail when Oracle shuts down

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2006 01:07:43 -0700

Tarby777 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to configure Oracle 9iR1 to send an e-mail whenever the
> instance shuts down? I know that I could create a shell script to shut
> the instance down and send a mail, but I can't be sure that folks will
> always use the script. I'm wondering whether there's an Oracle file
> somewhere that always gets read during an instance shutdown, to which I
> could add a line that would send the mail. Maybe there's a PL/SQL
> procedure that would handle this... what's the best way to get the
> system to send this e-mail?
>
> TIA
> Tarby

Oracle Enterprise Manager (comes free with Oracle) can do that provided you
- set up an OEM repository (= an Oracle database) - enable the 'database up/down event' for the database you wantg to monitor
- OEM can email an alert and/or page it to your cellphone

Please do NOT reinvent the wheel to replace functionality you already have.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA