Re: Noob Oracle Question

From: CJM <cjmnews04_at_REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:24:30 +0100

"neo" <superk7_at_collegeclub.com> wrote in message news:1155938131.520818.313660_at_h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> Remember guys, he DID already state that he was a noob.
>
> AND this is not a production database, they more than likely haven't
> even migrated any data into it.
>
> I don't understand why you are scolding someone for doing something
> they are CLEARLY asking you how to do.

Thanks for the support.

But for the record... I'm an Oracle noob, but I'm an experienced developer and usenet participant, and I've seen for too many smart-asses pouring scorn on a poster when they are asking a reasonable question to take actually take any such shit myself. So to be clear... if anyone has a point to make, just make it. Don't assume anything.. just state your case. If you disagree with a post, say so, and explain how your views differ. Save the wise-cracks, because there is only you who thinks it's clever. And it looks silly months and years on when the next guys trawl through the archives looking for help on a similar subject.

Anyway, back to the topic. Of course, this is not a production DB; this is not even the latest test DB. It *is* a populated DB but then again we are using to develop migration routines as well.

To answer Daniel & Joels recent points: Yes, this is a major ERP implementation. But I'm not doing it. In theory, we have purchased a system suitable for our needs; in practice, it doesnt begin to come close to fitting our business perfectly. Amongst other things, we have found one area where the system is so poorly designed that we are having to take that function outside the system - hence I am trying to develop a bolt-on mini-application to do this. If it were up to me, we would be getting the supplier to mod this, or ideally, we would have identified this problem at the outset, and taken a different course of action earlier.

Is it naive of my management to expect me to implement such as system with no training or previous exposure to Oracle? Of course. Is this kind of thing a rarity? Not even close - not only does it regularly happen in our organisation, but it happens in many/most organisations too - we hear about it all the time. Does it happen in yours? If not, I envy you, because I've faced the same saga in every job I have had. Shit happens. We can object, but ultimately we have to deal with it.

Bearing in mind that I am the sole *dedicated* devoper in the company (there are two others who develop in certain areas for part of their roles), don't you think I should have been trained in the fundamentals of Oracle at the very minimum. Of course, I should...

Do you not think that we should have perhaps given greater weight to solutions based on SQL Server DBs given that our company has a base of experience in this technology? I would have...

Do you not think that the person with the most RDBMS skills and experience, and the guy who primarly supports the the dozen or so SQL Servers, should be trained up to adminster the Oracle DB. Again, I would have...

However, 'the management' have made their decisions and we're all stuck with them. So now I need to do my job.

As with any technology, you start off wielding a sledgehammer, you progress through some other tools, until (hopefully) you are capable of handling a scalpel with skill. I would hope that I am at the scalpel stage with SQL Server, but after two days of investigation with Oracle, I can still barely lift the sledgehammer. Of course, by experience with other RDBMS's will stand me in good stead eventually, but there are plenty of conceptual differences between each DB, before we even get to the simple syntax problems [e.g. Why the hell isnt there a TOP keyword in Oracle??].

So next time I ask a question, can you all please try your best to answer *my* question. We can always create another thread on management best-practice and other peripheral issues. But meanwhile, I have a difficult job to do at short notice, and would appreciate constructive help from my peers.

Chris Received on Mon Aug 21 2006 - 05:24:30 CDT