Re: forms6i and sqlplus

From: <bgineste_at_prodidact.net>
Date: 21 Aug 2006 00:31:17 -0700

Frank van Bortel a écrit :

> Very modern - the latest and the greatest!

I agree.
Ok. I know.
But they are (were) working. on all XP pcs except this one.

> Did you install the language packages with forms?

We did.
The last test hes been made in AMERICAN_AMERICA with the same result.

> What version are you connecting to? Forms 6 uses the old network
> stack - if you connect to a 10 database, that may cause your troubles.
> This 600 (which usually signals: call support!), as well as the NLS
> errors

Sorry I forgot this information the database is a 9i one. 10 is not used for customers at the moment.

> Ah - you don't want the latest and the greatest?
> Why do you think 6i is not certified for XP?
> Why do you think you can upgrade your OS and all your apps
> still work? Why do you think *every* sysadmin tests patches on
> OS level?
> To prevent mishaps like this.

At first, for some softwares, migrations need to be really studied and tested.
If you compare the time needed for testing a complete critical update, and the time needed to test a 6i 10g migration, it seems obvious that there can be a long long period between the decision to migrate a software, and the date of the first migration. This time is even longer when the software deals with the pay for companies having more than 1000 paid.
Another thing that make this kind of migration difficult to make is that this software is installed in a lot of companies. And that they all ( or I hope so) are happy with it, in its actual way of working. And that they don't really appreciate to be obliged to buy some new oracle licences for a kind of new software when they don't think they need it( the 6i/10g migration implies for most of them a client-server/n-tiers migration).

> You're in an impossible situation: your OS is not certified with
> this version of Forms (and the whole lot of utilities that
> comes with that).
> If you can get it to work, consider yourself lucky.

I'm perfectly aware of this. But this is not the first test on an xp, it has always perfectly worked. It is perfectly working on the ten other pcs in the same room of the same client.

.> I would get hold of another PC, and install Win2K.
> Or try virtualization (VMWare).

This could be a solution, but I would like to find something easier for the user.

Best regards

--
BG