Re: Noob Oracle Question

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Aug 2006 15:36:52 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> neo wrote:
> > Remember guys, he DID already state that he was a noob.
> >
> > AND this is not a production database, they more than likely haven't
> > even migrated any data into it.
> >
> > I don't understand why you are scolding someone for doing something
> > they are CLEARLY asking you how to do.
>
> No scolding him ... scolding his management.
>
> I just don't believe in giving someone a job responsibility and then
> denying them access to the tools to do a good job. If you feel
> differently remember this thread the next time you are in the dentist's
> office and someone new on the team comes into give your that hypo of
> carbocaine. ;-)

I was also struck by the OP "Implementing an Oracle based ERP system" combined with noob questions. I have cleaned up the results of doing such without a properly trained DBA involved... sometimes after the lawsuits are over.

But I agree, Daniel appeared a bit rough on the OP, I'm glad to see he meant the management. What people need to take away from this is that Oracle is a big, deep pool, and throwing people in to sink or swim is rarely a good idea from a well-run organizations viewpoint. We've all been newbies, and many of us have had hard lessons. There have been attempts to cookbook this stuff, but when it comes to security, that just doesn't work. Perhaps the 2-day DBA stuff is even wrong.

Sometimes you just need to pay for someone experienced to do it right.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.theory/browse_thread/thread/7e3e1931a8454d40/3f9492513cfed992?hl=en