Re: Noob Oracle Question

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: 18 Aug 2006 04:14:08 -0700

CJM wrote:
> I've suggessfully created a sequence, and I'm now trying to create a simple
> table, which will be followed by a trigger to form an identity field
> equivalent. Unfortunately I'm having problems creating the table: SQL Error:
> ORA-01950: no privileges on tablespace 'SNE'.
>
> Any thoughts? I definitely have CREATE TABLE privileges...
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris

How did you create the user? A user needs a quota privilege on a tablespace. It's not a given. Typically, I create a user as follows:

CREATE USER <user_name>
IDENTIFIED BY <password>
DEFAULT TABLESPACE <user_tablespace>
TEMPORARY TABLESPACE <temporary_tablespace> QUOTA UNLIMITED ON <user_tablespace>;

If your user is already created, you can alter it:

ALTER USER <username> QUOTA UNLIMITED ON <tablespace_name>;

The above is all achieved using the text interface SQL*Plus, which you've probably got installed. Much better than GUI's as your actions can be scripted (and therefore repeated) as well as documented.

And, I'm afraid you've got more reading to do :-) Before anyone else says anything, the questions you're asking are fairly basic, with all due respect. You should read through the Concepts guide too: http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/toc.htm

HTH -g Received on Fri Aug 18 2006 - 06:14:08 CDT