Re: *pressure Google to put Groups back on main page...*

From: Chris F.A. Johnson <cfajohnson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:01:46 -0400

On 2006-08-17, timasmith_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

>> [please don't top post]
>
> [ please dont bottom post]

   I only bottom post when it is appropriate. Most of the time, my    responses are interleaved.

>> > I dont want to use bookmarks, I hate menus - too many clicks, too slow
>> > - read up on your HCI. My home is google search and one click is for
>> > google groups.
>>
>> Why would anyone use anything but one's own file for a home page?
>>
>> > Newsreaders are an archaic method - perhaps for retirees who have
>> > nothing better to do with their time but read every single message
>> > posted - lol.
>>
>> You obviously know nothing about newsreaders.
>>
>> Does Google Groups have killfiles?
>>
>> Does Google Groups refrain from showing you articles you have
>> already read?
>
> lol I top post because that is the default for Google groups...

   It certainly is not!

   Your reply goes wherever *you* choose to put it.

> I used a newsreader in the 90s, used to chew up space, add an extra
> window, had to click on all these different groups to find stuff...
> aweful
>
> I hate to break it to you but using a newsreader is old fashioned.

   Fashion is not a criterion for anything other than parting fools    from their money.

   An old-fashioned method is still used because it works better for    what it was designed to do.

> Let me ask you this.
>
> Can you type these two workds into your *newsreader*:
>
> jfs commandlink
>
> will it come back in 0.1 seconds with this:
>
> Your search - jfs commandlink - did not match any documents
> Did you mean: jsf commandlink
>
> and can you click on the suggested link and in 0.05 seconds get the 46
> articles across the entire usenet that reference java server faces
> command link component?

   When I need that, I use Google Groups. That's what it is good for.    It is not good for general reading of newsgroups.

--
   Chris F.A. Johnson, author   |    <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
   Shell Scripting Recipes:     |  My code in this post, if any,