Re: [OT] Re: *pressure Google to put Groups back on main page...*

From: Jeffrey Schwab <jeff_at_schwabcenter.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:31:35 GMT

Brian Peasland wrote:
> Jeffrey Schwab wrote:

>> DA Morgan wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't and have never used google to get here: I use ThunderBird. Talk
>>> to you ISP.
>>
>> You've really never posted through Google?  What do you do when you
>> travel?  I use Thunderbird, too, but my ISP only lets me connect
>> directly through their routers.  Yesterday I posted through Google
>> because I was at work, whence I'm not sure NNTP packets would escape
>> anyway.

> Why would I want to use a web browser to post to a newsgroup? Talk about
> a clunky interface.....Use Thunderbird and start living. This means you
> will need access to a news server, and that may be the crux of your
> problem.

What part of "I use Thunderbird" was unclear?

> As for being away from home....my work laptop travels with me. I use
> this wonderful thing called VPN to see my company's news server. Which
> is no different than when I'm in the office...

Yes, I do the same, but that doesn't solve the problem of being able to get to my news router from the office.

SSH/slrn a la Chris Johnson would be a partial solution, but I wouldn't know how to keep slrn in synch with Thunderbird. I could switch to slrn entirely, but... It just doesn't seem like I should have to. Received on Thu Aug 17 2006 - 11:31:35 CDT