Noob Oracle Question

From: CJM <cjmnews04_at_REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:28:30 +0100

I'm usually developing with SQL Server, but our organisation is in the process of implementing an ERP system that is Oracle-based (10g).

I'm required to write a small bolt-on application (web based), so I was intending to create a separate 'database', where I could store my application's stored procedures/views/etc, so that it would be independant from our ERP system.

I have access to the web-based Enterprise Manager and Oracle SQL Developer, though I'm sure I could gain access to or install other tools as required.

My first mission, I guess, is to find out a bit about the fundamentals or Oracle. I understand Oracle doesnt have DB as such but has Schemas, but which are a slightly different concept. So I'd like to get my head around some of these fundamental concepts.

Secondly (and more practically), I need to know how to create my separate 'database', and how I can refer to tables & views in the ERP system. In SQL this is fairly easy to do - if my application wants to manipulate a table in a different DB I simply use the following type of reference: Select * from OtherDB.dbo.Table1. I assume there is an Oracle equivalent.

Can anyone point me firstly in the direction of some good informations sites to tutorial sites where I can find out more? Can anyone give me a simple summary of what I need to do to create this separate 'database' and how I get it to interact but its ERP peer DB.

I realise that Oracle is significant technology that won't be mastered in a day, but I need to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance Received on Thu Aug 17 2006 - 04:28:30 CDT