Re: *pressure Google to put Groups back on main page...*

From: Aragorn <stryder_at_telenet.invalid>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 05:53:22 GMT

On Thursday 17 August 2006 07:38, Chris F.A. Johnson stood up and spoke the following words to the masses in /comp.os.linux.misc...:/

> On 2006-08-17, timasmith_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> Seriously, who the hell cares about 'Videos' - there must be millions
>> of usenet group users - can we club together and force them to put
>> Groups back on the Google home page - 2 clicks per visit is starting
>> to bug me...
>
> Why do you need a link? Can you not go straight to the group you
> want without going to the main page? (I don't remember when I was
> last there.) Do you not have bookmarks? Or a file with links?

... Or better still...: one could use a real newsreader instead and have more chances to a response to your mails from the people who normally filter out Google Groups posts, for all the obvious reasons, such as...:

- general cluelessness regarding what Usenet is;
- general cluelessness regarding just about anything IT-related;
- frequent abuse by spammers;
- frequent abuse by trolls;
- illogical posting style without references to what is being replied
to;
- and many, many more... ;-)

If your - i.e. the OP's - ISP does not provide NNTP, then why not make mass requests to them to add Usenet to their offer, instead of making mass requests to Google Groups - which *only* archives Usenet and offers a badly broken posting interface to it - to bring it up to their home page.

Like Chris says, people with a clue normally know how to set a bookmark in their browser. The lack of such knowledge therefore substantiates the choice of many Usenet regulars to simply /killfile/ anything posted from Google Groups.

While I myself am slightly more tolerant, I can't really say that I blame them either... :-/

--
With kind regards,

*Aragorn*
(Registered GNU/Linux user #223157)