Re: How to force two entities to point to the same lookup value

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 22:31:29 GMT

joel garry wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:
>

>>joel garry wrote:

>>>The thing about Tom is, he goes through the technicalities
>>>point-by-point.
>>
>>Does he? What are the points he uses to demonstrate that folks should
>>give his employer a monopolistic franchise over their business?
>
> What a kooky thing to say!  I mention technical and you morph it to
> monopoly?

What a kooky thing to say! I mention the incentives an Oracle VP has for getting people to give his company a monopolistic franchise over their business, and you morph it into a technical discussion?

>>[snip]

>>>Well, you implied it about Tom when you said Oracle pays him to say
>>>things, and Hans seems to be pointing out you made the implication.
>>>Since you made the implication, it's not a big leap to think you think
>>>that way. Glad to know you don't.
>>
>>I don't recall implying it about Tom either. Nevertheless, his job is to
>>promote Oracle products. It is in his interest and in his employers
>>interest for others to lock themselves into Oracle products and out of
>>competitor's products.
>>
>>Giving any company a monopoly on one's business is never in one's
>>interest. Thus, he does not say these things for the benefit of those he
>>convinces to lock in.

> Your logic is severely distorted.  You assert monopoly with no basis in
> fact or argument.

Sorry. Monopolistic franchise is longer to type than monopoly. However, locking one's company into a specific vendor does grant that vendor a monopolistic franchise by artificially raising the barrier to entry for the vendor's competition.

>>None of the discussion initiated by the Oracle crowd or any of what
>>followed did anything to address the original question. One can draw
>>whatever conclusions one wants from that about how much the Oracle crowd
>>care about what the original poster needs.

> The obvious conclusion was that it was not an Oracle related question.
> I became involved in this thread when _you_ asserted puffery.
> Bullshit, and I called you on it.

What, other than puffery, has any of the Oracle crowd provided to the original poster? Did any of them address his questions? Did any of them post anything other than puffery? If so, I didn't see it.

>>I see a knee-jerk reaction that defends their own turf while totally
>>ignoring the original poster's question and dismissing his stated desires.
>
> What did his desires have to do with cdos?

cdos? I am not sure what that is. Are you suggesting the oracle crowd's reaction to the original poster's question was helpful to anybody or was anything other than a knee-jerk reaction to defend their turf?

>>>Yes, one should always look more critically upon those have a financial
>>>interest. One should also not be too quick to dismiss those who do
>>>have a financial interest, provided they show their work. That's Tom's
>>>magic: he shows it all so anyone can try it, in terms that anyone can
>>>understand and replicate.
>>
>>And what--succinctly--is the reason anyone should give Oracle a
>>monopolistic franchise over their business?

> Just to piss off kooks like you who bring straw men into usenet
> discussions.

Straw man? I am replying to the actual content DA Morgan and Sybrand Bakker wrote. How is that a straw man? They reinforced that content by citing a shill for Oracle.

The original poster asked some very specific questions regarding integrity enforcement. DA Morgan ignored those questions and supplied a link to something apparently irrelevant with no explanation of the relevance other than the original poster should use it to lock himself into an Oracle solution after all--contrary to his explicitly stated desires.

> What is your basis for claiming a monopolistic franchise?

Did you bother to read what DA Morgan suggested? Or what the original poster asked? Mindless idiot.

[remaining nonsense snipped without reading] Received on Wed Aug 16 2006 - 17:31:29 CDT