Re: Reporting with dynamic sql

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:22:23 -0700

Deltones wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> Out of curiosity, you're probably past that with the experience you
> have now, but when you were asked to create report using Oracle PL/SQL
> and SQL*Plus, did you mix and match or all line reports were assembled
> and displayed with dbms_output.put_line?
>
> Denis

Personally I think using SQL*Plus to create reports a nightmare that went the way of the dodo bird in the early 1990s. The IT world now has real report writers and allow for things essentially impossible in SQL, PL/SQL, and SQL*Plus.

Take a good look, for example, at Oracle's XML Publisher. http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/publishing/index.html

Or Discoverer, or Crystal, or Cognos, or Business Objects.

The issue here is not your reports: It really isn't. The issue isn't your attempt to use Native Dynamic SQL. It is rather the fact that your organization is making a complete mess of a valuable corporate asset by not understanding concepts, architecture, and the technology.

It is not my intention to insult you but the word incompetent means to not be competent. And in the area of Oracle it seems your shop is like a 14 year old speeding down the highway in his father's car. He'll do really well right up until he doesn't. And then it is going to get really ugly.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington