Re: How to force two entities to point to the same lookup value

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 16 Aug 2006 11:59:28 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> HansF wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:50:41 +0000, Bob Badour wrote:
> >

> >>It goes without saying that Tom Kyte says everyone should lock
> >>themselves permanently into Oracle solutions. Oracle pays him to say
> >>that,
> >
> > If you had a chance to meet Tom, you would probably retract that statement.
>
> I sincerely doubt that I would. I am sure he is a very pleasant man.
> Regardless of his natural inclination, which I am sure is equally
> pleasant, Oracle pays him to be pleasant as well.
>
> While I have no objection to the profit motive whatsoever, I equally
> have no compunctions about dismissing puffery as puffery.

The thing about Tom is, he goes through the technicalities point-by-point. I'm guessing this is from many years of pre-sales work, one has to know it cold and be able to communicate it to those fixed in other ways of thinking. One thing it _isn't_ is puffery. If you don't want to go through his books, which are very educational for those who do want to compare Oracle's way and the others, he has much published online.

As one who has gone through a number of relational products over the past 25 years, I've got to say, I'm a fan of Tom.

> > As one who has met him and had several opportunities to chat ... I think
> > Oracle pays him BECAUSE he says those things. (Sort of a chicken-egg
> > issue, I guess.)
>
> How he arrived at the financial interest is irrelevant to my point.
>

> > A rarity, to be sure. And many who worship money foremost will never be
> > able to believe it.
>
> I am not sure what sort of point you are trying to make with your
> conclusion. Anyone who thinks I worship money would have to be daft or
> completely ignorant about me.

Well, you implied it about Tom when you said Oracle pays him to say things, and Hans seems to be pointing out you made the implication. Since you made the implication, it's not a big leap to think you think that way. Glad to know you don't.

Yes, one should always look more critically upon those have a financial interest. One should also not be too quick to dismiss those who do have a financial interest, provided they show their work. That's Tom's magic: he shows it all so anyone can try it, in terms that anyone can understand and replicate.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"If you get bombarded by ads for minivans on Yahoo, even if you are