Re: Access Active Directory data with a view

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 20:51:33 +0200

On 15 Aug 2006 07:38:17 -0700, "willy" <w.tadema_at_planet.nl> wrote:

>Dear Sybrand,
>
>Thanks for your suggestions. I'm working on Oracle 10i. I've altered my
>original script. The results seem to be okay. Would you be so kind to
>comment on my alterations, since I'm not familiar with PL/SQL?

Dear Willy,
the code seems to be functionally OK.

But
- there is no exception handling in the function. This means exceptions will propagate to the caller. It also could result in the session with the LDAP server not closing. - there seem to be informational debug messages (dbms_output.put_line) These need to be removed, because can end up in a 'black hole' when used in a non-interactive environment. In reality they don't go in a 'black hole' but they end up in the PGA, were they could cause trouble. As there is conditional compilation in 10g, I bet something can be done about that.
- My concern with respect to this code, not knowing what dbms_ldap exactly does, and in what context it will be used, is it might scale badly, as it seems to retrieve record by record, instead of entire resultsets.
However, I can not judge whether that is going to pose real problems. You might end up with poking around in ldap tables directly though.

Regards,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA