Re: Database Load or Usage calculation

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:34:51 +0200

On 14 Aug 2006 11:22:47 -0700, mune19642003_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>After thinking on this a bit , I was wondering if the daily total of
>'Number of Physical Reads' ( for example ) would be a good indicator
>of the growth of a database..... In most cases that number would grow
>as the DISK SPACE USAGE grows or as USERS grow and such!

Number of Physical Reads doesn't tell anything about the size of the database. Let's say users learn how to submit inefficient queries, or someone dumps a 'database independent app (read very inefficient) in the database. What would that tell about the size of the database? Nothing.
If you want to keep track of the size of the database you'll need to use the Capacity Planner of Oracle Enterprise Manager, or the tools provided by various other vendors like Quest.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA