Re: why cant i do this?? any clues on how i should go about

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 18:26:21 GMT

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:51:19 -0700, DA Morgan wrote:

> Vinay Bhushan wrote:

>> EXECUTE IMMIDIATE 'ALTER TABLE T ADD (ABCD VARCHAR2(50))';
>>
>> I think there can be no of other ways if any one could point out the
>> best practice and also explain us why we cant do a Alter table directly
>> that would be help full;
>>
>> SQLserver is is much help full we can put a exists clause and work with
>> it but this is not true with oracle if exists (Select col_name from
>> user_tab_columns) then dosnt seem to work does any one kow how to use
>> this.

In case you have not determined it yet ... Oracle is not a variant on SQL Server. The two products are totally unrelated except that they happen to implement dialects of the SQL language.

Also note that Transact-SQL is NOT SQL!!!! Has nothing to do with the SQL language. Therefore not portable.

Implementing SQL Server stuff in Oracle generally causes performance and locking issues.

Implementing Oracle stuff in SQL Server generally causes performance and locking issues.

If you want to use Oracle, please consider reading the Concepts manual and Tom Kyte's excellent books. (See http://www.apress.com and search for Thomas Kyte.) Otherwise you will follow many others down the road of pure frustration.

>> if so that would be of gr8 help some one making a point of best
>> practice for alter tables.
>>
>> Reply Reply with quote »

> Best practice is to NEVER alter tables using PL/SQL.

Also - never to create or drop objects using PL/SQL. Especially never to create, alter or drop temporary tables!!!!!!!

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!