Re: why cant i do this?? any clues on how i should go about

From: HansF <Fuzzy.Greybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 17:48:40 GMT

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:30:39 -0700, Vinay Bhushan wrote:

> I think there can be no of other ways if any one could point out the
> best practice and also explain us why we cant do a Alter table directly
> that would be help full;

Best practise is to manually maintain the dictionary and not use PL/SQL.

As to why ... some speculation based on

  In Oracle, all create, alter {dictionary} and drop statements include an   implicit commit. Oracle basically has disallowed these commands as part   of a general transaction flow and the developer needs to use alternate   techniques to explicitly override the normal operation.

In other words - DDL ain't allowed in native PL/SQL.

--
Hans Forbrich   (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
*** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!