Re: using PL/SQL tables to store values

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 06:40:05 -0400

<happyardy_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
:
: > :
: > : Thanks for your reply.
: > : I am using Oracle SQL Developer to code(if that is what you meant by
: > : development tools).
: > : I have been told to use PL/SQL tables since it would also be a good
: > : exercise for future development here. At this point I am really not
: > : that knowledgable to make an educated choice about whether PL/SQL
: > : tables are the best way to go for my application.
: > : thanks
: > : - Ardy
: > : I have been told to use PL/SQL tables
: > :
: >
: > actually, i meant, what is your user interface? what kind of 'form' are
you
: > referring to?
: >
: > and once you store the data in the PL/SQL tables (quite ananlogous to
: > arrays, as Hans pointed out) how will the data in the arrays be used?
will
: > it be ready by another process or does it need to be stored in the
database?
: >
: > ++ mcs
:
: I am using Oracle PL/SQL for Web. So basically creating web pages using
: htp procedures. I mentioned the word forms because I am using a lot of
: htp.form<aaaa) etc.
:
: After the user inputs values for Subject, Course number and year.
: E.g(for say 3 subjects at a time)
:
: English 101 1999
: French 235 1997
: Math 450 2000
:
: (these are the course that he/she has taken at their university and
: want to know if these can be transferred to my univ. here..that is the
: application i am working on)
:
: and clicks on "Submit" button, I need to get these values from the
: webpage and then run queries again the database tables that I have
: using these values.
:
: After the processing is done, the user(prospective student) would see
: on the screen the equivalent courses at my university for his/her
: entered courses and would know what courses of his/her can be
: transferred here.
:
: thanks & regards
: - Ardy
:

ok, that helps

have you used PL/SQL arrays before?
how are you currently passing your fields to your form's action procedure? have you read the mod_plsql Users's Guide? the section 'Parameter Passing' describes your options, which include each of your multi-valued fields being passed as a single PL/SQL array parameter of your procedure.

++ mcs Received on Sun Aug 06 2006 - 05:40:05 CDT