Re: Bulk Collect vs. Insert Into

From: Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 12:10:43 +0200

brandon.raines_at_gmail.com schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to determine which is a better choice for moving large sets
> of data (performance-wise)- a standard SQL statement INSERT INTO ...
> SELECT .... or to take the same statement and create a PL/SQL
> Procedure that uses BULK COLLECT. If you could also illuminate why one
> works better than the other, I would appreciate it.
I'd suggest insert into ... select.
It eliminates the context switch. As for bulk collects, I haven't had much experience with that, but I did have a nasty experience with forall running out of PGA, so I'd carefully check that bulk collect doesn't have that problem, or I'd use cursor fetch with a limit clause.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.