Re: Whats the bcp (SQL Server) substitute in Oracle??

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 2 Aug 2006 08:58:27 -0700

Mark D Powell wrote:
> Martin T. wrote:
> (snip)
> > In 10g you can use the external table feature to unload data from the
> > database to a file.
> > Maybe this would be an option for you here.
> >

> Martin, flat files created using External Tables in 10g are usable only
> via datapump, per the documentation, and as such will probably will not
> meet the OP's needs.
>
> It is extremely easly to extract flat files from Oracle using queries
> and the spool file feature of SQL*Plus and/or the utl_file package.
> Pro*C is always an option.

Oh silly me! :)
There I am, using PL/SQL + a query (for my_record in (select ...)) + utl_file about 4 times during the last month and then I forget it ...

You're right of course, using utl_file would be the preferred way from a stored procedure I guess.

best,
Martin Received on Wed Aug 02 2006 - 10:58:27 CDT