Re: Whats the bcp (SQL Server) substitute in Oracle??

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 Aug 2006 07:48:24 -0700

riteshjain82_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> In my project right now we are creating flat files from tables on one
> secured UNIX server using the bcp utility of SQL Server.
>
> But now this database will be migrated to Oracle 10g. Can i achieve the
> same functionality of bcp in Oracle?? I already have one procedure
> which can create one flat file on a fixed server location which will be
> specified in init.ora file.
>
> But I want to create the three files that are created using the bcp
> i.e. Error File, Flat File and Out File. Also, I am not very clear
> about the difference between the Flat file and Out file generated by
> bcp. I also want to pass the secured server location as a parameter to
> this procedure.
>
> Can anyone help me on this?? Please provide the code snippet as i am
> very new to Oracle.
> This is really urgent friends, please help me.

Goto http://tahiti.oracle.com and lookup usage for UTL_FILE package. With this package, you can read/write files from pl/sql.

Alternately, you can use Java's (JVM can be built into Oracle database) java.io api. You write a java class, load it into the database, write a plsql wrapper around it and off you go. As simple as that.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Wed Aug 02 2006 - 09:48:24 CDT