Re: Whats the bcp (SQL Server) substitute in Oracle??

From: <riteshjain82_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Aug 2006 07:21:53 -0700

Robert Klemme wrote:
> riteshjain82_at_gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi friends,
> >
> > In my project right now we are creating flat files from tables on one
> > secured UNIX server using the bcp utility of SQL Server.
> >
> > But now this database will be migrated to Oracle 10g. Can i achieve the
> > same functionality of bcp in Oracle?? I already have one procedure
> > which can create one flat file on a fixed server location which will be
> > specified in init.ora file.
> >
> > But I want to create the three files that are created using the bcp
> > i.e. Error File, Flat File and Out File. Also, I am not very clear
> > about the difference between the Flat file and Out file generated by
> > bcp. I also want to pass the secured server location as a parameter to
> > this procedure.
> >
> > Can anyone help me on this?? Please provide the code snippet as i am
> > very new to Oracle.
> > This is really urgent friends, please help me.
>
> There are several tools, the most similar probably being SQL*Loader.
> You can find it in the "Utilities" book. It's unlikely though that
> you'll achieve the exact same functionality you have with bcp.
>
> Then there's exp and imp and Oracle Data Pump for moving of data.
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

Yeah but the thing is that we are not allowed to use any of these tools or utilities. We have to write a procedure for this. Also, i think that SQL Loader can only be used to load data in tables from flat files, while i need to create flat files from tables. Please correct me if i am wrong?? Received on Wed Aug 02 2006 - 09:21:53 CDT