Re: mysql + oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:43:48 -0700

pstachy wrote:

> Volker Hetzer napisal(a):

>> pstachy schrieb:
>>> Hi
>>> I have an oracle database and need to get some data from it and
>>> replicate that data on mysql database in order to have it via WWW
>>> (apache + mysql + php).
>>> The only way to connect between oracle and mysql that comes to my mind
>>> is by PHP. e.g. get some data from oracle to a file and then load it to
>>> mysql.
>>> My question is: Is there maybe any other (simpler, safer, better?) way
>>> to do it???
>> What prevents you from accessing the oracle database from php too?
>>
>> Lots of Greetings!
>> Volker
>> --
>> For email replies, please substitute the obvious.
>
> Well, generally nothing... I'm looking for a way to connect(replicate)
> oracle with mysql without a  mediator like PHP. I'm not sure if it is
> possible altogether...

Possible? Absolutely. A complete and total waste of time that introduces potential audit and security issues that in many cases violate US, Canadian, and European laws? Absolutely.

Unless you have time to waste and no need for security go for it. But it strikes me as a horrendous waste of effort.

MySQL is a toy. A sophisticated toy but none-the-less a toy. If you don't need it, and you don't, throw it away.

University of Washington
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace x with u to respond)
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group